[Twisted-Python] Noob alert - Looking for a framework for creating a long polling service

Reza Lotun rlotun at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 16:26:47 EDT 2010

Hi,

> I am looking for a framework for doing a long polling service where :
>
> clients would connect to a soecific 'channel' and wait for a response
>
> Where a client admin would push a response only to clients connected to the
> same channel

There is a project built on top of Twisted that does exactly this,
called Orbited (http://orbited.org/). It works, and I use it for
internal real-time stats web pages. The one caveat I have with it is
that it recently appears to be somewhat inactive - though I use it so
much I might fork it and continue development ;-)

A good article showing you how to use Orbited is:
http://cometdaily.com/2008/10/10/scalable-real-time-web-architecture-part-2-a-live-graph-with-orbited-morbidq-and-jsio/

Other articles are featured on the orbited site.

If you're looking for a scalable, long-polling queue broadcaster *in
general*, I highly suggest nginx_http_push - an addon module for the
popular C-based asynchronous web server nginx
(http://pushmodule.slact.net/).

Start with Orbited though, and see where it takes you ;-)

Cheers,
Reza

--
Reza Lotun