[Twisted-Python] Stackless.py and Twisted

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 9 08:22:45 MDT 2010

Hi Folks:

My talk "Prototyping Go's Select for Stackless with Stackless.py" recently got accepted to EuroPython. In the talk, I modified stackless.py to support the Go language's Select statement. I support Select as a method rather than a Python language feature. Implementing Select turns out to be relatively. However my original interest in stackless.py  was about subclassing the Twisted Reactor and making it stackless's scheduler. As opposed to running Twisted in a separate tasklet so an application does not deadlock under certain edge cases. In part I wanted to experiment with changing the stackless scheduler in such a way as to improve the performance of IO driven applications.  I am wondering if I would see a speed up if compiled into pypy-c (unfortunately right now I don't believe the JIT and Stackless are integrated)? Is this too wild an idea?

Cheers,
Andrew