[Twisted-Python] qt4 reactor status

Glenn Tarbox, PhD glenn at tarbox.org
Wed Jun 30 14:41:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Steve Castellotti <sc at puzzlebox.info>wrote:

>  On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 23:04 -0700, Glenn Tarbox, PhD wrote:
>
>  Any of the code that was developed while the reactor was in Twisted
> itself is MIT licensed.  Perhaps that means you only need to track down
> people who contributed after the code was moved out of Twisted?
>

> I believe thats just me.  There were a couple of bugs / upgrades /
> suggestions which I incorporated... and are annotated in the git repo on
> github with names and email (IIRC).
>

> So, maybe I just need to change the headers to make it MIT instead of GPL
> v2 and its all cool.
>

>     Actually, I think you're right.
>
>     From the header of the main file in the launchpad trunk:
>

> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ghtdak/qt4reactor/trunk/annotate/head:/qt4reactor.py
>
> # Copyright (c) 2001-2008 Twisted Matrix Lboratories.
> # See LICENSE for details.
>

>     If Twisted Matrix has the Copyright, the license doesn't matter, they
> can dual-license under any second license they want. Any changes, unless
> individual Copyright was claimed by the contributor, would fall under the
> original Copyright.
>
>     And considering you're the official maintainer, you should have the
> ability to do that, even if it hadn't been your code in the first place (c:
>

>     At least I'm pretty sure that how it all works, I am not a lawyer and
> so forth.

There was only one place where GPL was referenced... not sure why I put it
there but it was clearly a bug... which I patched.  I also copied Twisted's
LICENSE file into the tree.

If Twisted indeed holds copyright... then it was probably already their
right to do whatever... This makes it more explicit perhaps.

Since I'm not a bzr person, I fixed the code at github

http://github.com/ghtdak/qtreactor

I'd update launchpad but that might take a bit and somebody is gonna want to
take over maintenance anyways.

-glenn

>     That should safely handle the licensing around the qt4reactor code, now
> I suppose its back to the small matter of making sure it works with the
> latest Qt4 and PySide codebase (c:
>

>   Steve Castellotti
> Puzzlebox Limited

Glenn H. Tarbox, PhD ||  206-274-6919 || glenn at tarbox.org - xmpp || ghtdak -