[Twisted-Python] qt4 reactor status

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Jun 27 18:37:16 EDT 2010

On 26 Jun, 06:03 pm, sc at puzzlebox.info wrote:
>Hello-
>
>     I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on the current status and
>plans for Qt support under Twisted?

I think you nailed the status - it's an externally maintained reactor
which probably works for some people.  As far as plans for support go,
there aren't really any.  Most Twisted development happens without many
specific plans though, so you shouldn't let that discourage you.

>     In the meantime, can anyone please update me if there has been any
>further work or consideration towards official Qt support for Twisted?

This isn't really specific to Qt - actually it's about Gtk - but it
might be useful anyway.  A number of issues with Gtk's network support
have recently led me to believe that a better way to integrate with it
would be to only put a single file descriptor into its event loop and
trigger all other event notification based on that single descriptor.
This can be done with epoll, where Gtk would watch the epoll descriptor,
but then Twisted's epoll reactor would deal with actual socket events.
It might be doable with IOCP reactor too, where a Windows Event is put
into Gtk and then all of the IOCP operations trigger that one Event.
It's doable with kqueue in a manner similar to that which applies to
epoll.  And if all else fails, there's the ThreadedSelectReactor
approach.

Perhaps Qt's networking support is on par with Twisted's, though, and
such wouldn't be necessary.  I don't know, as I have very little
experience with Qt.  I just wanted to mention the idea.

Jean-Paul