[Twisted-Python] Reassigned tickets

Itamar Turner-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Sat Jun 19 22:35:47 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 18:05 -0700, Ying Li wrote:

> I'd also like to have some consensus or documentation about what to do
> with tickets (assigned to me or no) with comments I do not know how to
> interpret - should I be implementing the change as described in the
> comment, if I do not recognize the commenter as a core developer?

If it's an obvious bug, it's worth fixing - but I guess you're asking
about cases that are matters of judgement, or just confusing (e.g. for
2661 I've no idea offhand what IFinishableConsumer is and who implements
it). In which case, probably not worth doing work - you don't want to
end up wasting time on work that has to be redone.

> What if there are several comments with disagreements as to how best
> to resolve the issue?

If you feel qualified, make a decision. If you don't, pick someone you
think is and ask them to comment.

> Perhaps these tickets should be put into a separate queue or have a
> keyword assigned to them to signal their limbo state?

Or perhaps another state in our workflow process; all tickets would
start in this state. The state machine would be something like:

discussion -> decided -> coding -> awaiting review -> approved -> closed

You could then know not to start coding on anything still in discussion
state that where you feel someone should make decision. "Decided" state
would imply (1) the issue ought to be fixed and (2) the solution has
been decided on.