[Twisted-Python] Announcing TwistedSim: A simulator for your Twisted application

Hatem Oraby hatem.oraby at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 07:07:04 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2010, at 9:56 PM, Hatem Oraby wrote:
>
> I'd like to share with you a project that I've been working on: TwistedSim
> is a simulator/emulator that loads your Twisted applications and run then
> under a simulated network.TwistedSim could save you a lot of developing time
> and debugging time, TwistedSim offers you efficient and reproducible testing
> environment.
> Please check the project at http://code.google.com/p/twistedsim/
>
> Your feedback and comments are highly appreciated. I would like to hear
> from you.
>

> Hi Oraby,
>
> Thanks for providing a link to this!  I'll be sure to check it out later.
>
> In the past, projects that begin with the name 'twisted <something>' have
> occasionally confused users, though, as the projects inside Twisted itself
> are called 'twisted <something>'.  A while ago, we started promoting the
> prefix 'tx' (see <https://launchpad.net/tx>) to mean "twisted extension",
> i.e. "this works with twisted, gets along well with Twisted", sort of like
> "py" is for "python".
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but my vague understanding is that if you honor this
> request, it will make things easier for the Twisted project to secure
> trademark rights later on.  So, I hope that you will consider re-naming
> "twistedsim" to something else (might I suggest "txnetsim"?) so that it's
> easier for users to keep this straight.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -glyph

Thank you for advice and suggestion Gylph, The point is that twistedSim in
not restricted only to Twisted Framework (I.e. It can run with any
event-based network application), Its true that TwistedSim give a special
attention to Twisted (and thats where the current name came from), however
renaming it to start with tx would be unfair as this will mean that it
simulates only Twisted Framework.
I respect your intentions about adapting to standards and not to confuse
users, I will change in hopefully in the next major update the name to
something other than TwistedSim but it will probably something new that
doesn't restrict it as a Twisted extension (i.e. won't start with tx).

Regards,
Oraby