[Twisted-Python] Integrating Twisted with ZeroMQ

Laurens Van Houtven lvh at laurensvh.be
Sun Jun 6 15:59:19 EDT 2010

Hey,

For the Twisted folks: this thing has been reviewed by the ZeroMQ
folks first because I wanted to be sure I got the technical details
right on the their side of things.

I'd like to open up a discussion from a while back regarding the
integration of ZeroMQ (a messaging system: similar to AMQP but with
the intent to be simpler) into Twisted.

The interested ZeroMQ people and the interested Twisted people (names
withheld to protect the guilty) disagreed on what it should look like.
I think that's mostly because neither party really understood what the
other's software wanted to do. So, I'll try to give everyone a basic
explanation without going too deep into either Twisted or ZeroMQ: my
apologies if I spell out the basics of your thing too much and it gets
boring :)

ZeroMQ aims to be a thin layer above TCP, behaving like TCP but
'better'. That sounds like a vague marketing statement, but it helps
to understand some of the terminology if you keep that in the back of
your head. (What exactly 'better' means is way beyond the current
scope: basically, ZeroMQ wants to help socket programmers to stop
reinventing the wheel by implementing common behavior such as pub/sub,
request/reply...). Essentially AMQP but much simpler, and brokerless
in most cases. This email is already going to go way over the sane
character count, thankfully the ZeroMQ webpage does a great job at
explaining stuff :-)

I think this highlights the main problem people had. There a partial
overlap between Twisted and ZeroMQ. The ZeroMQ implementation does
things Twisted does too: it implements a bunch of low level networking
stuff using eg epoll. It deals with real sockets, and Twisted wants to
do that as well.

ZeroMQ uses things called Sockets. They're similar but not the same
thing as TCP sockets (instead delegating work to TCP eventually), so
you can't use traditional methods like select or epoll with them,
because, for example, they don't have file descriptors. Some
underlying thing probably does have fds; but ZeroMQ worries about that
for you under the hood, just like Twisted does for other TCP traffic.

There are a couple of options for making ZeroMQ work with Twisted:

1) implement everything in Python, using Twisted's TCP stuff. I think
this is mostly a bad idea and the ZeroMQ people seem to agree: _lots_
of work, ZeroMQ libs are stupidly fast already, Python not being the
best tool for binary protocols...
2) write a thin wrapper around the C(++) libs: great, as long as it
never has to go into the Twisted trunk
3) use pyzmq's thin wrapper around the C(++) libs: sounds like the
best idea to me, again with reservations wrt the Twisted trunk

Originally there was a fourth idea, which considered libzmq as a new
mechanism: like epoll, so you'd have a ZMQ-specific reactor. A bunch
of people didn't like this, and I can somewhat see the point: hard to
integrate with other event loops like GUIs, for example.

pyzmq offers something called select, which works just like select
except it works on both file descriptors and ZeroMQ Sockets. It just
delegates all of the work to libzmq. We could use
ThreadedSelectReactor and have it use ZMQ's select. I'm not sure if it
should use "normal" select everywhere else: because zmq's select is in
fact much better than select.select (it just behaves like
select.select in the sense that you give it three sets of fds and an
optional timeout; under the hood it's actually epoll or kqueue or
whatever) and it can handle plain old file descriptors just fine. So,
you'd have a TRS with either 1 zmq.select running on everything or 1
zmq.select running over Sockets and 1 select.select running over your
classic fds. Personally I kind of like the idea of zmq's select taking
over, but I don't know how well that works in practice.

A potential option for Twisted, which some people don't quite like,
would be to have a listenZMQ and connectZMQ, analogous to
listenTCP/listenUDP/listenSSL and the respective connect*s. I think
this makes more sense to the ZeroMQ people (who think of ZeroMQ as a
layer "next to" TCP which happens to be implemented on top of TCP, on
top of which you build your stuff) than the Twisted people (who think
of ZeroMQ's protocol as yet another TCP-using protocol just like HTTP
for example). Having worked with both pieces of software, the more I
play with ZeroMQ the more I think listenZMQ/connectZMQ make sense.
ZeroMQ really tries to be one of those things and it shows. What
ZeroMQ wants to do is semantically much closer to the existing
connects and listens. I'm not just making this up: the ZeroMQ people
have reviewed this and this is really what ZeroMQ wants to be.

Another argument for making ZMQ special is that TCP is just one of the
things ZeroMQ works with. UNIX domain pipes, PGM reliable multicast,
UDP PGM encapsulation, and even inter-thread communication.

I know some Twisted people way smarter than me basically thought the
connectZMQ/listenZMQ thing was a mistake, but I'm not sure to what
extent that is because they were right and to what extent that was
because they didn't really know very much about ZeroMQ and just went
"it works on top of TCP so that's not where it goes". To Twisted folks
that disagree: would you change your opinion of ZMQ was *really*
something that's side-by-side with TCP instead of being implemented on
top of it? Like, say, SCTP is? Does the fact that it can work on top
of a bunch of stuff that isn't TCP change that?

Talking with the ZeroMQ people has been a positive experience: they
were very accessible and cooperative, and really just want a bigger
market for their software (who doesn't?) so I hope something useful
comes out of this :-)

tia
lvh