[Twisted-Python] [Twisted-web] Mirror Down

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jul 19 21:35:47 MDT 2010

On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:20 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

> On 19 Jul, 01:28 pm, nickpholden at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The main mirror for the twisted download is down, this is causing
>> easy_install to hang for ages and fail when I try and install:
>
> For Twisted 10.1, we took the extra step of loading the tarball to PyPI
> to address this issue.  Apparently that was pointless, though?  Because
> easy_install doesn't care about the downloads available on PyPI?  It'd
> be good to know if this is the case, so we can consider whether or not
> to waste the time for the next release.

As an experiment, I took the _additional_ step of updating the "download_url" field to point at the PyPI URL, <http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/T/Twisted/Twisted-10.1.0.tar.bz2>.

Before I did this, easy_install selected the download link from twistedmatrix.com.  Now, it reliably selects the PyPI URL first.

Looking at the history now, I can see that therve actually updated the download_url to something else already, but now I can't see what he set it to.  Maybe it was pointing at "twistedmatrix.com" and that's why it was screen-scraping?

I am not sure how to *remove* the download_url, though; it might be interesting to see what PyPI does in that case.

Can anyone with some more direct knowledge of how PyPI works comment on this?

(Cross-posting to the main Twisted list because this is of general interest.)