[Twisted-Python] 10.1 release follow-up

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Tue Jul 6 07:09:47 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2010, at 12:13 PM, Jonathan Lange wrote:
>> I've started this thread for any discussions about the way the release
>> was done and for the next release.
>
> I am generally very pleased with the way it went.  It appears to have been
> the smoothest release thus far.

It's certainly the smoothest I've done.

I can't stress how amazingly helpful it is to have a detailed process
doc, and how important it is to see any glitches in the release as
bugs in the document.

>> Note that the Ubuntu feature freeze is August 12th, so we can expect
>> 10.1 to be the release that goes into Ubuntu 10.10.
>
> I would *like* to accelerate the schedule for this release if we can get
> certain important features in which missed the last release (documentation
> for endpoints, documentation for cancellation, endpoint string parsing,
> endpoint plugins, and some SSL issues that Jean-Paul and I discovered while
> working on these).  It would be nice to establish the precedent that
> important features cause releases to happen *faster*, rather than causing
> them to be delayed.

I would like the same.

I was going to say that maybe those things are worth doing a 10.1.1
release for, but then I thought better. Let's keep point releases for
critical defects.

> But I certainly don't want to make any promises about getting it done by a
> particular advance date.  I thought that you handled the delays and setbacks
> in this release fairly well - I can't see myself doing it substantially
> better - and so trying to accelerate the schedule may just result in the
> release actually occurring on time.

Making promises about time is difficult for unpaid volunteers. :)

>> As part of this release, there have been many improvements to the
>> release process document, see
>> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ReleaseProcess. I would greatly
>> appreciate it if the document could be reviewed for clarity and
>> correctness.
>
> I will obviously be doing this in more detail as I move forward with the
> next release, but the recent edits are a big improvement to the clarity and
> completeness of the document.

Thanks.

It's basically only possible to test the document by doing a release.
My brain turns to cheese whenever I try to review it while not
actually doing something.

>> The biggest blockers to a swift release, from my perspective, were the
>> following:
>
>  * delaying to wait for feedback on the release candidate
>
> This seems to me like a necessary delay.  I wish that we could motivate the
> readers of this mailing list to be a bit more responsive, but I don't see
> how we could have been much louder about it :).

I think I should have announced the closing date for testing (as in,
if it's not in by June Xth, we aren't going to do know about it).

>  * waiting for the review for the release ticket
>  * waiting for someone else to solve the buildbot issues for Windows
>
> It looks like those issues were a one-time thing, at least.

The delay on waiting for the ticket to be reviewed happened last time also.

I don't really have any ideas as to what to do about it, but I'd like
to avoid the experience of sitting around for hours killing time at my
computer on a weekend waiting for a review that may never come.

jml