[Twisted-Python] Lore to Sphinx Conversion Progress Report 4

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jan 20 20:57:21 MST 2010

On Jan 19, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Kevin Horn wrote:

> This time I think I'm gonna skip saying how I haven't gotten as much done as I would like...oh darn.
>
> Anyways, time for another gripping installment...
>
> Progress:
>   - tables are now handled (mostly) properly, thanks to Zeth at http://commandline.org.uk/
>   - blockquote tags handled
>   - much improved whitespace/indentation handling
>   - some nicer styling thanks to Michael Thompson
>   - I've managed to convert the docs for the 3 Divmod projects with Lore
>     docs, though I've yet to put them up anywhere.

Yay!

>   - due to ReST's insistence on "inline markup" being surrounded by
>     whitespace or certain special characters, there are a lot of places where
>     such inline markup gets jacked up, by not including whitespace in front of
>     it.  If I put whitespace in front of everything though, my indentation
>     handling gets jacked up and about 400+ Sphinx build warning result.
>     Not sure if I should spend the time to make whitespace handling really
>     smart or if these should just be fixed manually post-conversion.

I don't really understand this problem.  What do you mean about making whitespace handling really smart?  Isn't this the sort of detail that docutils is supposed to handle for you?

>   - Themeing/styling: still mostly a TODO, though new styling looks a lot
>     better than the default to my eyes.  I'm starting to think that
>     eventually we might want to have 2 themes/styles...one to match the
>     trac-based website, and one for bundled docs (docs tarballs, CHM files, etc.)

That would certainly be nice, but is in no way required for the initial migration.  Still, we should have a workable theme in order before we pull the trigger :).

>   - some of the Lore source files have nested "inline markup", which ReST
>     disallows.

Ugh.  So ReST can't do this?  That's pretty lame.

>       - just handle the outside level of nesting (what I'm doing now) and
>         fix any problems manually post-conversion.

I'm assuming there are very few instances of this, so that sounds fine.

>   - xhtml entities are not currently resolved...mostly because it makes
>     the build take a LOOOONG time.  They can be though.  This shouldn't
>     be a problem.

Are you resolving them by downloading all the DTDs or something?

>   - Foolscap 0.5 was released today, which made me wonder what they use for
>     docs...and it's Lore.  I brought this up on IRC, and it was suggested
>     by many that Lore should stick around even after the conversion according
>     to the standard Twisted compatibility policy, to give anyone who still
>     uses it time to migrate.  This sounds like a fine idea to me.
>     Any thoughts?

Since nobody really uses lore's API, the same compatibility policy doesn't really apply.  In lore's case, I would say that the policy should be that we include it with X more releases just for packaging convenience, but stop doing maintenance immediately.