[Twisted-Python] Lore to Sphinx Conversion Progress Report 5

Timothy Allen screwtape at froup.com
Fri Feb 5 20:23:14 MST 2010

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:19:00 -0600
Kevin Horn <kevin.horn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'll see if I can find/make time to have a look at the CSS.
>
> That would be really great.  There are a few things that are driving
> me bonkers.  For example: the prev/next/index links on the right hand
> side of the gray navbar are 1 freakin' pixel lower than the
> "breadcrumb" links on the left hand side of the same navbar () at
> least on this machine), and I have no idea why.

After spending a few minutes poking about with Firebug, the reason
becomes clear:

 - In twistedtrac.css line 38, the navbar list items are set to
   "display: inline", which makes them layout like "<span>" and stack
   up nicely on the left, but also makes them ignore certain vertical
   adjustments like margin and padding.
 - In twistedtrac.css line 42, the navbar list items on the right are
   set to "float: right", which makes them stack up nicely on the right
   but also happens to make them respond to margin and padding again.
 - In trac.css line 179, the navbar list items are set to "padding:
   0.25em 0", giving them vertical padding. This is ignored by the
   inline list items on the left, but respected by the floated list
   items on the right.

I haven't studied the CSS of the main Twisted site, so I don't know how
they get around it there.

One easy way around it for the docs might be to change "display:
inline" to "float: left", which also makes them stack up on the left,
and behave consistently with the ones on the right.