[Twisted-Python] Python 2.6 with twisted on OSX

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Thu Dec 23 15:53:58 EST 2010

In article
<AANLkTikqm8_dJ_PkK0+PY4uJnmgUtGAwX2XCwu_Gia3V at mail.gmail.com>,
 Eric Dennison <ericd at netdenizen.com> wrote:

> I am planning to teach a Python/Pygame workshop in which students will be
> (mostly) using Apple hardware and OSX in various flavors. The installation
> of Python 2.6 and Pygame runs smoothly but I hit a wall when trying to
> download/install Twisted because no dmg installers are being built now that
> Twisted is pre-installed on the system Python. Since I don't wish to use the
> (relatively old) system Python, I would like to figure out how to install
> Twisted into my Python 2.6 installs.
>
> I have had success with building and installing Twisted from sources, but
> this is not a viable solution for installing to 20 different machines.
>
> I have also had success with simply copying Twisted/Zope/SSL directories
> from the system Python to Python2.6, but I can't help feeling like this is
> going to come back to haunt me later :)
>
> Does anyone have experience with this dilemma or any suggestions for me? I
> am not experienced with OSX, so there may be some obvious things that I
> simply don't know about.
>
> TIA -Eric

One option is to use bdist_mpkg to make your own binary installer. it is
easy to use. Instead of the usual install-from-source sequend:
  python setup.py build
  python setup.py install
you do this:
  bdist_mpkg
the result is a binary installer. I have not tried it with Twisted but
it's well worth a try.

bdist_mpkg can be installed using easy_install

-- Russell