[Twisted-Python] easy_install and twisted problems?

Ken MacDonald drken567 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 09:06:46 EST 2010

I'm trying to use easy_install to load twisted, but I keep getting the
following error about not being able to find "vcvarsall.bat". As you can
see, I have the .bat and it's in the PATH. I have Visual Studio C++ Express
installed, and googled a bunch of references to similar easy_install
problems; several suggested installing MingW32's compiler. I tried that,
which got rid of the vcvarsall message, but came up with a stack of fatal
compile errors.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong with the installation most
welcome.
Thanks,
Ken
C:\Python26\Lib\distutils>vcvarsall.bat
Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 x86 tools.

C:\Python26\Lib\distutils>easy_install twisted
install_dir c:\python26\Lib\site-packages\
Searching for twisted
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/twisted/
Reading http://twistedmatrix.com/
Reading http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/Twisted/10.0/
Reading http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/Twisted/9.0/
Reading http://www.twistedmatrix.com
Reading http://twistedmatrix.com/products/download
Reading http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/
Reading http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/Twisted/8.2/
Reading http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/Twisted/8.1/
Best match: Twisted 10.2.0
Downloading
http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/Twisted/10.2/Twisted-10.2.0.tar.b
z2#md5=73da62c793269eade8121da336b01ba5
Processing Twisted-10.2.0.tar.bz2
Running Twisted-10.2.0\setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
c:\users\kmacdo~1\appdat
a\local\temp\easy_install-dip2sj\Twisted-10.2.0\egg-dist-tmp-ctzrhl
*error: Setup script exited with error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat
*
C:\Python26\Lib\distutils>