[Twisted-Python] Twisted with wxPython in a thread

Gabriel Rossetti gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com
Tue Aug 24 16:56:33 EDT 2010

On 08/24/2010 07:32 PM, Andrew Francis wrote:
> Hi
>

>> I can't find any examples of using Twisted with wxPython, were wx is in
>> a seperate thread. I used to have one somewhere but can' t find it
>> either. I'm looking because for some reason my code doesn't work (the
>> GUI freezes), even though I use reactor.callFromThread() for Twisted
>> calls from wx and wx.CallAfter() for wx calls from Twisted. Can anyone
>> point me to an example?
>>
> This may be off topic but isn't there a wxReactor() so that you can
> avoid a separate thread?
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

Yes, I know, but I'm using Twisted in a way that I allow blocking
because it doesn't matter in my application, I receive a msg then access
hardware and therefor I can only do one thing at a time (with this
hardware anyways). If I use wxreactor with this model the GUI freezes up
when I access the IO. I used to use wxreactor, put the IO calls in a
queue and run one after another in a thread but this posed other
problems when I needed to interact in between the GUI, the network
(Twisted) and the IO threads, with my current code it has become much
simpler and more reliable.

Cheers,
Gabriel