[Twisted-Python] mercurial branch

Reza Lotun rlotun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 13:27:29 MDT 2010

Hi All,

> If possible, I'd very much prefer that we have just the one DVCS mirror
> instead of one for darcs, one for mercurial, one for git and one for bazaar.

I'm not a core developer but I thought I'd chime in on this one. In
most cases discussions about version control are really not important
- it's much better just to mandate *some* system, that's hopefully the
best tool for the job, all things considered. I also recognise that
bazaar and launchpad are important parts of the Twisted ecosystem, and
I'm not suggesting Twisted should move away from them at all.

However, when it comes to encouraging code contributions, it's getting
to be more apparent that GitHub is becoming the widely accepted medium
for this. I've been a mercurial man for a while, and would have hoped
bitbucket became a bigger player in this area, but for various reasons
it seems GitHub have "won" (whatever that means). In my daily work -
in the wider field I work in, and in various projects my work and
personal code depend on - more and more GitHub is becoming the primary
home for development of these projects.

Being "forced" into GitHub, I eventually (finally) *got* it - code
contribution is easy, and fun. The "fork, code, issue pull request"
model is fantastic. It's something that can be duplicated elsewhere,
but a process that has been popularized by GitHub. It also has reached
critical mass, and has entered into the minds of most developers I
know as "the" place to put open source and private code on.

For the sake of the encouragement of code contributions, I'd suggest
Twisted establish some sort of official GitHub presence. Twisted has a
great development process, and I realize the Twisted trac site should
be the center of this process. What I also suggest is that someone
(perhaps me, since I'm doing similar things at work), use GitHub's
great API to automate integration with Twisted's trac and Development
Process system. That way, besides setting up a periodic mirror system
off the core svn repo, all development actions could be automated and
unified.

I'm fairly confident that such a system could be implemented - again,
I'd enjoy helping out on this if the core devs think this would be
useful.

Cheers,
Reza

--