[Twisted-Python] Seeking advice: Coping with heavy log file loads

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Fri Apr 9 04:18:15 MDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 05:35:51PM +0900, Paul Goins wrote:
> We use DailyLogFiles for file rotation along with the
> PythonLoggingObserver to allow for logLevel support.  (Of course, this
> gives us significant overhead from Python's complex logging
> architecture; maybe we should drop this...)

I don't know if this will help you, but why do you need to route
through Python's logging framework for log-level support?

For example, Twisted's SyslogObserver support allows the use of syslog
log levels without involving Python's logging system:

http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.python.syslog.SyslogObserver.html

If Python's logging framework doesn't show up in your profile output as
an appreciable percentage of the time spent in Twisted's logging
framework, I guess you might as well leave it alone - but if it is
contributing, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out a way to work
around it.