[Twisted-Python] Noob alert - Looking for a framework for creating a long polling service

Werner Thie wthie at thiengineering.ch
Thu Apr 1 01:12:31 MDT 2010

Hi,

I'm a long term user of twisted with nevow on top mainly using the
athena part with LivePage and LiveElement for RPC between Python and
JScript. nevow/athena opens up a whole new world of transparently
calling from server to browser and vice versa on a permanent connection.
With a slight change (three lines) a nevow/athena 'permanent connection'
also survives network outages of up to a minute like the ones
experienced in mobile 3G networks.

Recently I've combined twisted/nevow with qooxdoo http://www.qooxdoo.org
allowing injection/removal of widgets including code into a livepage
thus providing not only a 'real app' but a real desktop user experience
in a browser.

If you want to have a look at some demos please feel free to hit

http://nqx.thieprojects.ch          minimal nevow/qooxdoo samples
http://telinfo.thieprojects.ch      Swiss telephone book lookup
http://differenzler.thieprojects.ch Minmal Jass cardgame

To see code (use Firebug, JScript is not obfuscated) done starting from
2006 till recently.

Part of the above mentioned technology was used in a larger card game
setup for the Swiss National TV providing a multi player game site with
various games of Jass. Currently around 25k games are played by about
70k users a day.

http://www.samschtigjass.ch

The 'Einzelspieler-Version' can be played without logging in.

I've also written experimental stuff bridging XMPP and browser with
nevow/athena, using XMPP/pubsub for real time data exchange, though for
this I have no public available samples.

This is definitely a plug but after four years of working in the field
of RIAs it seems to me that nevow/athena is the most advanced of all
implementations revolving around 'long polling', permanent connections,
websockets and related technologies. It solves a host of problems which
you have to tackle when using other technologies.

HTH, Werner