[Twisted-Python] Noob alert - Looking for a framework for creating a long polling service

Alex Clemesha clemesha at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 14:37:59 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 6:03 AM, Reza Lotun <rlotun at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
>> Have you continued, or do you plan to continue development where it was left off?
>
> Well, it's something I've only be toying with. I can handle all the
> specific Twisted fixes I'd like to make:
>  - handling lost connections gracefully
>  - proper use of twistd and daemonization
>  - massive code cleanups

I would very much support you continuing development on Orbited.
In fact, I believe I can help, or already have patches for most of the
above issues you mention.  A lot of this is result of my "Hotdot" project,
"Create realtime webapps using Django + Orbited + Twisted":
http://github.com/clemesha/hotdot

Specifically, see here for Orbited and twistd working together:
http://github.com/clemesha/hotdot/blob/master/server.py

and see the below for patches that improve handling lost connections gracefully:
http://gist.github.com/256582

Finally, it would be awesome if you put up your improvements on Github
(just a suggestion :-),
then I can easily fork and starting adding improvements, and you can
pull and we can move this forward.

-Alex

p.s. I haven't found many issues with the frontend JavaScript code, but if you
have specific issues that you could point out, I'd love to try to help.

> The only problem is that I'm not that knowledgeable about the
> Javascript browser hacks they've employed - their Orbited.js is more
> than half "magic" to me (probably due to me not having an opportunity
> to work on a large js project). It's something that I'd like to get
> into, if someone is willing to take the lead on the javascript side.
> It could potentially be as simple as slotting in js.io
> (http://github.com/mcarter/js.io), which Orbited.js has apparently
> become, and which appears to have been the plan for Orbited 0.8.
>
>> They all seem to have gone off to play with node.js instead.
>
> I don't *really* blame them, considering most of the project's merit
> lay in the Javascript realm, and node.js is basically a (less
> featurful) version of Twisted for Javascript (of course with the added
> bonus of using a heavily JITed and optimized Javascript VM).
>
>> Very cool, I hadn't seen that before.
>
> Yes, very neat. Haven't done much with it, but I think it's a real
> winner when you're doing something simple like long-polling/
> broadcasting from a queue.
>
> Cheers,
> Reza
>
> --