[Twisted-Python] Noob alert - Looking for a framework for creating a long polling service

Reza Lotun rlotun at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 09:03:18 EDT 2010

Hi Steve,

> Have you continued, or do you plan to continue development where it was left off?

Well, it's something I've only be toying with. I can handle all the
specific Twisted fixes I'd like to make:
  - handling lost connections gracefully
  - proper use of twistd and daemonization
  - massive code cleanups

The only problem is that I'm not that knowledgeable about the
Javascript browser hacks they've employed - their Orbited.js is more
than half "magic" to me (probably due to me not having an opportunity
to work on a large js project). It's something that I'd like to get
into, if someone is willing to take the lead on the javascript side.
It could potentially be as simple as slotting in js.io
(http://github.com/mcarter/js.io), which Orbited.js has apparently
become, and which appears to have been the plan for Orbited 0.8.

> They all seem to have gone off to play with node.js instead.

I don't *really* blame them, considering most of the project's merit
lay in the Javascript realm, and node.js is basically a (less
featurful) version of Twisted for Javascript (of course with the added
bonus of using a heavily JITed and optimized Javascript VM).

> Very cool, I hadn't seen that before.

Yes, very neat. Haven't done much with it, but I think it's a real
winner when you're doing something simple like long-polling/
broadcasting from a queue.

Cheers,
Reza

--