[Twisted-Python] Having touble with spread.pb un-serializing an object

Benjamin Ash bash at intelerad.com
Thu Sep 24 21:42:23 MDT 2009

Hi Jean-Paul,

Here is a sample server and client code that demonstrates the problem
with PB's unserialization code and objects that use __slots__.  The
SlotsObject class implements __slots__ and the NoSlotsObject does not.
The problem arises when de-serializing the SlotsObject.  The stack trace
is a little different than the original one I posted but the net-effect
is the same; an AttributeError exception.

Thanks,

-ben

sample.py (server and copyable objects):
"""
import sys
import os

from twisted.spread import pb
from twisted.internet import reactor

class BaseObject(object, pb.Copyable, pb.RemoteCopy):

    def __init__(self, name):
        self.name = name
        self.version = "1"
        self.release = "2"

    def __str__(self):
        return "%s-%s-%s" % (self.name, self.version, self.release)

class SlotsObject(BaseObject):
    """
    Some object that implements __slots__
    """
    __slots__ = ["name", "version", "release"]

    def __init__(self):
        super(SlotsObject, self).__init__("slots")

class NoSlotsObject(BaseObject):

    def __init__(self):
        super(NoSlotsObject, self).__init__("no-slots")

class SampleServer(pb.Root, object):
    """
    Serve up some objects that implement __slots__.
    """
    def remote_getSlotsObject(self):
        return SlotsObject()

    def remote_getNoSlotsObject(self):
        return NoSlotsObject()

def main():
    reactor.listenTCP(12346, pb.PBServerFactory(SampleServer()))
    reactor.run()

if __name__ == "__main__":
    from sample import SlotsObject, NoSlotsObject
    main()
"""

sample client code:
"""
import sys
import os

from twisted.internet import reactor
from twisted.spread import pb
from twisted.python import util

from sample import SlotsObject, NoSlotsObject

pb.setUnjellyableForClass(SlotsObject, SlotsObject)
pb.setUnjellyableForClass(NoSlotsObject, NoSlotsObject)

def call(factory, name):
    remote = factory.getRootObject()
    remote.addCallback(lambda obj: obj.callRemote(name))
    remote.addCallback(lambda obj: util.println("name is %r" % obj.name))
    remote.addErrback(lambda err: err.printTraceback())
    return remote

factory = pb.PBClientFactory()
reactor.connectTCP("localhost", 12346, factory)
call(factory, "getSlotsObject")
remote = call(factory, "getNoSlotsObject")
remote.addCallback(lambda _: reactor.stop())
reactor.run()
"""

Output:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 304, in _startRunCallbacks
    self._runCallbacks()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 317, in _runCallbacks
    self.result = callback(self.result, *args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 281, in _continue
    self.unpause()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 277, in unpause
    self._runCallbacks()
--- <exception caught here> ---
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 317, in _runCallbacks
    self.result = callback(self.result, *args, **kw)
  File "./sample-client.py", line 17, in <lambda>
    remote.addCallback(lambda obj: util.println("name is %r" % obj.name))
exceptions.AttributeError: name
name is 'no-slots'
"""