[Twisted-Python] I found an interisting comment about Twisted vs. Erlang

Jarrod Roberson jarrod at vertigrated.com
Tue Sep 29 17:54:21 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Laurens Van Houtven <lvh at laurensvh.be>wrote:

> One is a language. The other is an event loop. I'm not sure how we are
> supposed to compare the two. If he would've said E and Twisted,
> perhaps it'd be a more interesting comparison :-)
>
> Also, what Steve said jumped right into my eye as well. Don't get me
> wrong. I like Erlang -- it's functional, it's robust, it's very easy
> to make your programs execute in parallel. RabbitMQ and Scalaris are
> two examples of *excellent* Erlang software. I don't really think
> Erlang was a bad choice -- I just think they don't know enough about
> Twisted to judge :-)
>

> Laurens

actually one is a Concurrent Virtual Machine and language and Applications
Framework (OTP) the other is a single threaded event loop library.
Apples and Oranges. I have written production level code at a major ISP
using Twisted. It became very painful once
we started getting CPU bound on 32 core CPU machines. We had to run multiple
instances of our Twisted server implementation
to saturate the machine. I have since "ported" the same application to
Erlang/OTP. It is about 1/5 the amount of code.
And it scales 1:1 horizontally (adding more CPUs local or remote ) and
vertically (adding FASTER cpus ) with no code changes.

The broad statement that Twisted doesn't possess the capabilities of
Erlang/OTP is pretty much accurate. Each solves a different problem.
Granted Erlang/OTP is definately a super-set of what Twisted does

--
Jarrod Roberson
678.551.2852