[Twisted-Python] Using reactor with multiple processes

David Ripton dripton at ripton.net
Fri Sep 18 15:27:22 EDT 2009

On 2009.09.18 12:01:11 -0500, David Yoakley wrote:
> Instead, we implemented a simple framework using twisted
> PerspectiveBroker (pb) where we spawn processes with python
> subprocess.Popen and use PB remote calls to manage the processes.  Its
> now working well and is very simple.

Sounds great.  Thanks for the update.

I just want to mention that I mistrust the subprocess module because of
lots of personal experience with http://bugs.python.org/issue1731717 .
If you see weird intermittent failures to spawn processes, consider
switching to reactor.spawnProcess.  (IMX such failures are common with
Python 2.4, less common with Python 2.5 or 2.6.  So if you're not
shackled to^W^W using RHEL or some other archaic piece of^W^W^W
Enterprise-friendly distribution, you can probably safely ignore this
paragraph.)

David Ripton    dripton at ripton.net