[Twisted-Python] os x installer, multiple source locations

Phil Christensen phil at bubblehouse.org
Mon Sep 7 02:10:53 EDT 2009

On Sep 6, 2009, at 4:14 PM, Matt Bennett wrote:
> Very curious. I don't know anything about the design rationale but
> the end result is pretty unintuitive. At the very least some
> documentation about the situation would be useful.

Agreed, but for whatever reason, this is the first time I've heard it
come up on the list since I ran into it, which may be why it hasn't
been added to the install docs. I'm sure a docs patch would be well
received, if you were so inclined ;-)

On Sep 6, 2009, at 4:14 PM, Matt Bennett wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 3:08 AM, Phil Christensen wrote:
>> Hope my ramblings help in some way ;-)
>
> Certainly did, thank you. I modified my path just as you suggested,
> although I'm curious as to how this approach doesn't also break iCal
> server.

Well, to be honest, it could easily break iCal Server; I'm not really
sure. I only use regular iCal, which is unaffected by this change.

That said, I've had a lot of luck running old applications against
brand new checkouts of Twisted. It's obviously going to depend on what
parts of it are used, and which parts are in active development, but
historically I haven't had too many problems.

Also, I was under the impression that only OS X Server came with the
iCal Server, so on second thought, I'm not sure why the twisted source
is even there in the client install. Of course, at this point I'm
operating entirely on heresay and conjecture, since I never took the
time to look for iCal Server in the client installation of OS X.

-phil