[Twisted-Python] HTTPClientFactory's deferred never finishing download on .vcf (vcard file) link

Steve Steiner (listsin) listsin at integrateddevcorp.com
Thu Oct 29 17:34:05 MDT 2009

On Oct 10, 2009, at 5:15 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

>> Where might that be hiding?  I'd love to have something that does
>> deferreds like Twisted and also implements all of urllib2.  I find
>> the
>> info() from urlopen() particularly helpful when debugging issues like
>> this.
>
>  http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/886
>  http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3987
>
> As I understand the "info" method, it gives you access to the response
> headers.  The new API definitely exposes that information.
>
> You'll notice that neither of these tickets is closed.  #3987 is
> presently up for review.  If you want to help out, you could take a
> look
> at the code and point out any problems you notice.
>
> Jean-Paul

Well...I've now spent some actual time with 886 (-2,-3,and -4), and
also with 3987.

While there is some very nice stuff in there, I'm really not sure how
one would actually put it to use since the back-end and the front-end
seem to have been split into separate branches.

It seems that you can't use 3987 without 886-x but you can't get them
checked out at the same time in the same place or, at least, it's not
clear to me how one would do that.

Is there any way to get a single checkout, that I can install into a
virtualenv, where I can actually try to put this stuff to some sort of
concrete use?

For me, until I put it to some actual use in the real world, all the
abstract "code review" in the world isn't going to get it any closer
to being shippable.

Thanks,