[Twisted-Python] Twisted Performance

Daniel Griffin dgriff1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 20:44:20 MDT 2009

Hi,

I am new to twisted and have been having trouble finding out information
about twisted's performance. I have a fairly simple setup where I need to
open a bunch of TCP connections that last for varying amounts of time but
dont do much. I have tried using threads(got GILed to death) and
Processes(even worse). Now I am looking at either making a system to start
the connection and send info to have the remote point "phone home" when its
done, then closing the connection or using something like Twisted.

my socket conversation:
my app -> send a message that triggers an action on the other end
other end -> recv's message does action(can take any amount of time)
other end - > sends results back to my app

Can twisted handle up to several hundred connections like this? Is there a
better approach? Is there anything I should avoid?

Thanks,

Dan