[Twisted-Python] HTTPClientFactory's deferred never finishing download on .vcf (vcard file) link

Steve Steiner (listsin) listsin at integrateddevcorp.com
Sat Oct 10 18:48:28 MDT 2009

On Oct 10, 2009, at 5:15 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

>> Where might that be hiding?  I'd love to have something that does
>> deferreds like Twisted and also implements all of urllib2.  I find
>> the
>> info() from urlopen() particularly helpful when debugging issues like
>> this.
>
>  http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/886
>  http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3987
>
> As I understand the "info" method, it gives you access to the response
> headers.  The new API definitely exposes that information.

Yes, pretty much everything known about the round-trip is attached as
attributes of the return value for easy inspection with a couple of
little convenience methods for getting at them.

I just had a major debugging nightmare where the client, a web
services company, insisted that "I must be sending some weird headers"
and it wasn't that easy to prove I wasn't without being able to just
access that info.  I finally ended up using tcpdump.  I had forgotten
how much "fun" setting up tcpdump filters is.

> You'll notice that neither of these tickets is closed.  #3987 is
> presently up for review.  If you want to help out, you could take a
> look
> at the code and point out any problems you notice.

Hopefully I can just fire up a virtualenv, set this as my Twisted, and
run a few of the things I'm working on through it.

For some of them, I've been doing tcpdump pushups to find out what's
going on and it'd be great to have that right in the Python code
instead.

Please excuse my ignorance of how Twisted branches are used (there
sure do seem to be a lot of them!), but is this branch supposed to be
trunk + branch mods or latest release + branch mods?

Thanks!