[Twisted-Python] Gridspy - a new project using Twisted

Tom Leys leyssw at ihug.co.nz
Mon Oct 26 02:49:52 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone

I would like to introduce my project for the
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ProjectsUsingTwisted page. We use
twisted as the central server that talks to many power measurement
sensors in the field.

"
Gridspy provides you with an interactive view of resource usage in your
building. It gives you hard data on your consumption patterns and helps
you to make informed decisions.
The Gridspy allows you to access and monitor your consumption patterns
in real-time using a standard web browser on your PC, laptop or mobile
phone. The data is presented in high resolution and updated each second
as you watch. The moment a light is turned on in your house, you can see
the change on your Gridspy dashboard from across the room or across the
planet.
"
Our homepage is here http://www.gridspy.co.nz/
a running demo is here http://your.gridspy.co.nz/powertech

And you can read more about the role of our twisted backend here:
http://blog.gridspy.co.nz/2009/10/realtime-data-from-sensors-to-browsers.html

"
... The nexus then collects those sensor samples from the nearby
Gridspies, bundles it up with its own data and uploads it to our central
servers. To collect the data we use a custom application written using
the excellent Twisted framework <http://twistedmatrix.com/>. Every
single reading gets instant attention: it is evaluated for real-time
events, queued to be stored in the database and finally forwarded to
watching dashboard users. Processing the data stream live on the server
opens up many exciting possible features that I look forward to
discussing in future blog posts. By the time that the sample reaches the
server, it is about 0.2 seconds old. ...
"

It has been a great framework to work with. My sincere thanks goes to
everyone who has ever contributed to this project. Job very well done!

-Tom