[Twisted-Python] Replacement for CherryPy

James Gregory james at james.id.au
Thu Oct 15 20:02:12 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to replace a server that I've written with CherryPy to use
Twisted. My reasons are that my particular app has the server waiting on
sockets to third-party services a lot of the time, which is tying up all
the worker-threads I have allocated for CherryPy => scalability nightmare.

In short, I want to be able to write a class more or less like so:

class C:
     def searchData(self, query, resultCount) :
         # produce a deferred that will eventually return the data to go
back to the client, d.
         return d

And have it exposed such that fetching

     http://server/api/searchData?query=query+string&resultCount=10

will call that searchData method, passing in the URL's GET parameters as
the arguments to that method. It'd be awesome if it also worked for
POSTed data too.

I realise that I can probably build this myself using twisted.web etc,
but am wondering if someone's already done the legwork here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

James.