[Twisted-Python] python-twisted-akonadi and akonadi-gtk

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 10:42:03 EDT 2009

Hi,

Twisted is a framework for event driven applications. Typically client-
server architectures can be implemented with Twisted. Existing servers and
clients exist for a long list of protocols and communication devices
including HTTP, SSH, and notably for my purpose, IMAP and UNIX sockets. It
provides an event loop, and asynchronous Deferred objects which are similar
to KJob objects.

http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/

Akonadi is a cross platform PIM (personal information management) framework
developed as part of the KDE4 platform. The goals of Akonadi include

* Isolating user applications handing PIM data such as emails, contacts,
notes etc from the protocols used to access or store that data (IMAP, POP,
Maildir, Groupware, vcards, etc).
* Provide a single point of storage (actually a cache) of PIM data
accessible and manipulatable by any application written in any language on
the target platform.

http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/

Akonadi is designed as a client/server architecture. The server is written
in Qt/C++, and we already have one client library  for interfacing with the
server written in C++ using the KDE platform. Notifications of changes to
data are transmitted over D-Bus, and the actual data is transferred over a
local socket (on Unix. On windows it's a named pipe). The protocol used for
communication is IMAP with some non-standard extensions.

And so the purpose emerges :).

I have started an Akonadi client library written in python using twisted-
imap with some extensions on top of it for Akonadi specific functionality.
The code currently lives here:

http://gitorious.org/python-twisted-akonadi

There is the twisted-akonadi library a gtkAkonadi library containing some
high level classes for PyGtk applications and a simple email reader and
addressbook written in pygtk. Because Akonadi keeps everything in sync, you
can change items in a KDE application, the gtk application, or the django
application, and the other two will be instantly updated with the change.

I've blogged about it twice already here:
* http://steveire.wordpress.com/2009/10/09/holy-grail-no-thanks-weve-
already-got-one/
* http://steveire.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/cross-platform-akonadi-video/

As you can see, this is only a proof of concept of the project. The aim is
to create a library which feels pythonic and natural to use for twisted
users. If you think I've started in the wrong way, or you have ideas for
ways this API could be used, please let me know. I've just started with
twisted, so I've probably not found some stuff which would make this task
easier.

Additionally, if you would like to contribute to the project, that would be
very welcome. :)

If you find the ideas here interesting and want to know more, the Akonadi
developers are in #akonadi on Freenode and kde-pim at KDE.org, and I am
already in #twisted.

It isn't quite a twisted success story yet, but I think it has the potential
to become one.

All the best,

Steve.