[Twisted-Python] Phasing out old-style classes

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Fri Oct 9 07:56:10 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 03:45:02AM -0000, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
> However, if I were to make up a plan for porting Twisted to Python 3.x,
> then the first part of that plan would be to fix all of the failing
> tests reported here:
>
> http://buildbot.twistedmatrix.com/builders/python-3k-
> warnings/builds/203/steps/trial/logs/problems
>
> These are tests which fail when Twisted's test suite is run with the -3
> option on Python 2.6.  Tickets for these failures and patches fixing
> them would be greatly appreciated.

I found ticket 2484 which is (I believe) about making Twisted
translatable to Python 3.x with the stock 2to3 tool:

    http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/2484

I've added a comment about all the DeprecationWarnings issued by
Twisted's test suite when run under Python 2.6's 3.x-compatibility
warning mode; there's an awful lot more than just the 24 that cause test
failures.

I've also filed a bug about fixing one of the warnings mentioned, the
one about has_key() being removed in 3.x:

    http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4053

There's a few other warnings for which cleanup patches would be a good
lazy-afternoon effort. :)