[Twisted-Python] Caching mechanism

mardiros mardiros at laposte.net
Sun Nov 15 13:53:12 MST 2009

Hi,

you can couple a decorator with the maybeDeferred function.
this is a trivial example but it works.
This cache is not cleaned and if you write your decorator in
a class with a __call__ function, you can isolate the cache
dictionary and a configurable lifetime, with a
twisted.internet.task.LoopingCall for this.
In fact, I have already talk about it in a previous message,
too try talking about this technique with more advanced
users than me without answer. I supposed it was not so bad.
Well, I am using now this kind of code to cache sql select
request from a twisted.enterprise.adbapi.ConnectionPool.runQuery
and it's work fine.

from twisted.internet import defer
from twisted.internet import reactor
import types

cache = {}
def memoize(f):
    def g(*args, **kwargs):
        key = (tuple(args), frozenset(kwargs.items()))

        if key not in cache:
            return f(*args, **kwargs)
        else:
            print "from cache"
            return cache[key]
    return g

def saveInCache(result,key):
    print "saving to cache"
    cache[key] = result
    return result

@memoize
def asynchronousIsValidUser(user):
    print "Loading from network"
    d = defer.Deferred()
    reactor.callLater(2, d.callback, user in ["Alice", "Angus", "Agnes"])
    return d.addCallback(saveInCache, ( (user,), frozenset() ))

def printResult(result,user):
    if result:
        print "User", user ,"is authenticated"
    else:
        print "User", user ,"is not authenticated"

def authenticateUser(user):
    print "Authenticating user ", user
    d = defer.maybeDeferred(asynchronousIsValidUser, user)
    return d.addCallback(printResult,user)

reactor.callWhenRunning(authenticateUser,"Alice")
reactor.callLater(1,authenticateUser,"Alice")
reactor.callLater(3,authenticateUser,"Alice")
reactor.callLater(5,reactor.stop)
reactor.run()