[Twisted-Python] Twisted webserver performance issues

Tom Leys leyssw at ihug.co.nz
Sat Nov 7 19:55:49 MST 2009

Thanks for the link info.

I literally just set up Varnish for the first time on my web host, so I
am no pro. However, varnish uses a c like scripting language that can
run regexps on the incoming urls and apply rules to them.

What this means is that we can (as a starting point) choose caching
times for each of those high traffic urls in the varnish script without
touching trac. In the script, we match the front page (with a regexp)
and add a max-cache time to 86400, cache it, etc.

See http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/14
for a great varnish tutorial

By doing that for each of the urls you listed (bar the timeline, which
should be cached for 1 hour or perhaps 30 minutes instead) we will
seriously lighten the load on the database and the webserver, even if
varnish runs on the same machine (as a start).

Every other url (which doesn't have caching set) we could just cache for
30 minutes (perhaps even a day), but only for anon users (no cookies set
in browser)

-Tom