[Twisted-Python] Volunteer for twisted code Reviews and Commits

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Nov 6 19:59:19 MST 2009

On 01:11 am, ssteinerx at gmail.com wrote:

>On Nov 6, 2009, at 7:54 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>>As far as I can tell, these problems are due solely to the quality of
>>trac.  There is no indication that they will disappear through only an
>>improvement of the hardware the site is hosted on (unless we
>>consider a
>>really amazing improvement, something on the order of 10x faster CPU
>>and
>>disk than what we have now, a 3GHz P4 and contemporary disks).
>
>Not to be overly blunt, but there are other trac installations running
>on far less capable hardware that don't suck anywhere near as hard.
>That's not to say trac is great, but it isn't near this bad in many,
>many other places.

Do you know roughly how much traffic any of those installations deal
with?  We do around 50k hits per day, which is basically maxing out our
hardware.  I have the sense that most trac sites don't handle this much
traffic.
>I don't know anything about the history of this particular
>installation, what else is running on the server etc. but I don't
>think it's trac as trac.  It may be trac as installed in this
>particular situation, with whatever historical mutilations have been
>performed on it, with the particular versions of this and that.
>
>Dunno, just trying to find a way to help with my very, very limited
>time.

Several people have spent non-trivial amounts of time looking at this.
I'm not sure what improvements can be made with only limited additional
input.

Do you know of any relevant resources which we may have overlooked?  Are
there guides to running a working trac site?  Tips about special indexes
to create in the database?  Something?

Jean-Paul