[Twisted-Python] Volunteer for twisted code Reviews and Commits

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Nov 6 15:49:53 MST 2009

On 10:10 am, david.lyon at preisshare.net wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Glyph mentioned on python-dev that he was after assistance with
>code reviews.
>
>I would like to offer some assistance. I've been developing python
>for some time and I have a knowledge of prior C++ async patterns
>such as ACE. More currently I have a reasonable knowledge of
>protocols such as jabber and so forth.
>
>If there is any way that I might be of assistance, please don't
>hesitate to ask.

Hi David,

Thanks for the offer!  Twisted would absolutely benefit from more
assistance. :)  There are quite a few things that you could do which
would help out immensely:

  - Ticket reviews, as Glyph mentioned.  Until you get more familiar with
various parts of Twisted, you probably want to avoid giving a proposed
change (ie a branch or a patch) a thumbs up - but it's rare that the
first time a change is submitted for review it's ready for a thumbs up
anyway, so reviews you can do of tickets to point out what additional
work is necessary would be super useful.  This lets the contributor get
on with doing useful work (instead of waiting and waiting for a review)
and lets people with more Twisted experience focus on things that their
experience is actually necessary for.

  - Development, either on tickets with the "easy" keyword (at least
initially), or, even better, on tickets which have already been reviewed
one or more times and still require some work to be acceptable.  There
are unfortunately quite a few tickets which have a proposed change which
has been reviewed but for which the original contributor has
disappeared.  These are often pretty straightforward to get into
acceptable shape, so this is a high impact area in which to do work.

  - Triage.  Lots of duplicates are filed in the issue tracker.  Closing
these as such (with a link to the existing ticket, and another link on
the existing ticket to the duplicate) makes it that much easier to make
sense of all the other open tickets (of which there are too many even
without counting duplicates).

  - Website.  Our front page needs an overhaul.  It's too hard for people
new to Twisted to get the information they need from the current front
page.  We should have a goal-oriented page that makes it easy for
someone who just knows "I want to write a jabber client" to get to the
Twisted Words page, the jabber/xmpp examples, the Twisted Words
examples, etc.

If any of these sound interesting to you, dive in!  You might want to
hop on IRC, #twisted on irc.freenode.net, to talk about things in more
detail, too.

Jean-Paul