[Twisted-Python] Another approach to allowing __init__ to work with Deferreds

Drew Smathers drew.smathers at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:11:22 MDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Terry Jones <terry.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>        print 'final callback of %s, result = %s' % (what, result)
>
>    def stop(_):
>        reactor.stop()
>

>    class Test(deferredInitMixin):
>        def __init__(self):
>            d = late('Test')
>            deferredInitMixin.wrap(self, d, 'f1', 'f2')
>
>        def f1(self, arg):
>            print "f1 called with", arg
>            return late(arg)
>
>        def f2(self, arg):
>            print "f2 called with", arg
>            return late(arg)
>

>    if __name__ == '__main__':
>        t = Test()
>        d1 = t.f1(44)
>        d1.addCallback(called, 'f1')
>        d2 = t.f1(33)
>        d2.addCallback(called, 'f1')
>        d3 = t.f2(11)
>        d3.addCallback(called, 'f2')
>        d = defer.DeferredList([d1, d2, d3])
>        d.addBoth(stop)
>        reactor.run()
>

> Effectively, the __init__ of my Test class asks deferredInitMixin to wrap
> some of its methods. deferredInitMixin stores the original methods away and
> replaces each of them with a function that immediately returns a deferred.
> So after __init__ finishes, code that calls the now-wrapped methods of the
> class instance before the deferred has fired will get a deferred back as
> usual (but see * below). As far as they know, everything is normal.  Behind
> the scenes, deferredInitMixin has arranged for these deferreds to fire only
> after the deferred passed from __init__ has fired.  Once that happens,
> deferredInitMixin also restores the original functions to the instance. As
> a result there is no overhead later to check a flag to see if the instance
> is ready to use. If the deferred from __init__ happens to fire before any
> of the instance's methods are called, it will simply restore the original
> methods.  Finally (obviously?) you only pass the method names to
> deferredInitMixin that depend on the deferred in __init__ being done.
>
> BTW, calling the methods passed to deferredInitMixin "wrapped" isn't really
> accurate. They're just temporarily replaced.
>

> I quite like this approach.  It's a second example of something I did in
> http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2009-April/019522.html in
> which a pool of deferreds is accumulated and they're all fired when another
> deferred fires. It's nice because you don't reply with an error and there's
> no need for locking or other form of coordination - the work you need done
> is already in progress, so you get back a fresh deferred and everything
> goes swimmingly.
>
> * Minor note: the methods you wrap should probably be ones that already
> return deferreds. That way you always get a deferred back from them,
> whether they're temporarily wrapped or not. The above mixin works just fine
> if you ask it to wrap non-deferred-returning functions, but you have to
> deal with the possibility that they will return a deferred (i.e., if you

Somewhere, someplace something has to get a reference to the object
and it seems to me you're trying to prevent that something from
calling methods on the instance of the object before it's ready.  So
why not just defer providing the reference instead of wrapping methods
and intercepting calls?  To illustrate, here's a simple modification
of your example--assuming that `deferred' is an attribute on Things
set in __int__()--that would achieve this without any special mixins:

def theThingThatGetsTheReference(t):
    d1 = t. f1(44)
    d1.addCallback(called, 'f1')
    d2 = t.f1(33)
    d2.addCallback(called, 'f1')
    d3 = t.f2(11)
    d3.addCallback(called, 'f2')
    d = defer.DeferredList([d1, d2, d3])
    d.addBoth(stop)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    t = Thing()
    t.deferred.addCallback(lambda ign: theThingThatGetTheReference(t))
    reactor.run()

-Drew