[Twisted-Python] Twisted Question

Alex Clemesha clemesha at gmail.com
Sun May 31 18:21:05 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Brandon McGinty
<brandon.mcginty at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I just subscribed to this list, after viewing tons of documents about
> twisted, factories, and all the like.
> Here is the situation.
> I am trying to design a bridge between twisted.web and
> twisted.words.protocols.irc.
There is a project called "Punjab" that you might want to look at:
http://code.stanziq.com/punjab

What punjab does is it bridges twisted.web and
twisted.words.protocols.jabber (XMPP)
and generally uses "twisted.words" a lot.  Unless you have a strict
requirement on doing
something IRC related, you might find that XMPP does a lot of 'IRC
type' things really well,
and there is a lot of momentum behing XMPP tools right now.

I imagine that this might be a good jumping off point for the work
that you are trying to do.

hth,
Alex

> I have read a lot about using factories, and communicating with a
> central "program class" like in the finger tutorial.
> However, I can not figure out how to communicate between two running
> protocols.
> Here's an example:
> User connects to web server.
> Irc client connects to irc server
> User clicks on search link, and enters query.
> A command, along with that query, is sent to irc server via irc client.
> Response is returned, processed, and sent to the page that is the result
> of submiting that form.
> Process continues until user clicks log out, where in the irc client
> disconnects.
> Any help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon McGinty
>

> --
> --