[Twisted-Python] Guidance on Proxy-type Application

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Thu May 28 12:01:40 EDT 2009

Hi Adam -

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you and am working on a similar
problem.  Very much a Python and Twisted newbie.

The program I'm working on needs to talk to a variety of clients and to
a single server, with more-or-less permanent connections to all of them.

My problem is somewhat different from yours (and probably a little
simpler), since all input from all clients goes to the server, and
all output from the server goes to all clients (so I don't have to
tag and remember which response goes to which client.)  However,
there are other messages from the clients that don't go to the
server, but instead do other things, some requiring responses.
So the message handling in my program (what happens when dataRecieved
gets called) may be more complicated than in yours.  But that is
(at least from my perspective) the easy part.  Getting the twisted
app to talk to the server and all the clients, and not to fall over
dead when a client goes away, etc. is (to me) the hard part, and I
feel like I've just gotten over a huge hump now that that is (mostly)
working (as of two days ago.)

I am using two factories, one to generate the object that talks to the
server (using conch.telnet), and one to generate objects to talk to
the clients.  The clients can come and go but would typically be
permanent.  (Actually 3 factories right now, since I'm using the
StdioProxyFactory from the example for debugging, but that will
go away as I get the client protocol working.)

I started from the dataforward.py example in Twisted book, but by
now it has been massively changed.

Before starting the reactor, I do a reactor.connectTCP to the server
using the factory for the server connections and a reactor.listenTCP
using the client connection factory, to listen for client connections.

One change I had to make to the example was to promote the
InputForwarder object from an attribute of the client connection
object to a global object since it is common to all the
client connections.  (I hope I have the terminology correct here;
as I've said, I'm a Python newbie.)

It turns out to be fairly small amount of code, and I think it
can still be simplified some more.

So I think you are on the right track.  HTH!

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.