[Twisted-Python] offer of adding IRCD support to words.protocol.irc

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue May 19 13:26:08 EDT 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009 18:17:01 +0100, Patrick Thomson <patrick.thomson at gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm currently about to embark on building something from twisted which
>has an IRCD, and I have found the capacity to run IRC servers is
>lacking, in contrast to the excellent client/bot backend code.
>
>I've found several other twisted projects already implement an IRCD,
>and whilst I'm reinventing the wheel, I may as well go the extra mile
>to get my code suitable for inclusion.

Hi Patrick,

Cool!

I want to point you at what happens when you run this command:

  twistd -n words --irc-port 6667 --group irctest --auth=memory:username:password

Ideally, an IRCD in Twisted would be based on this (which certainly needs
some work).

>I wouldn't be asking for a lot, just some general guidelines (e.g. I
>know my patch probably won't be accepted
>without test code as well).

Tests are probably the most important single thing.  We also ask for full
docstring coverage (ie, docstrings for every class, method, function).  It
would also be best if you could structure your contributions incrementally.
Twenty patches of a couple hundred lines each is vastly preferable to one
patch of several thousand lines.

You can find much more detailed information on the wiki,

  http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedDevelopment

If anything there needs clarification, please ask. :)

Jean-Paul