[Twisted-Python] can't get a simple client/server example to work!

Adam adam.bcn at gmail.com
Wed May 13 04:08:06 EDT 2009

2009/5/13 bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com <bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com>

> Here is the server code:-------------
> from twisted.internet.protocol import Protocol, Factory
> from twisted.internet import reactor
> import sys
>
> class MyServer(Protocol):
>     def connectionMade(self):
>         self.transport.write("Hello")
>
> factory = Factory()
> factory.protocol =  MyServer
>
> reactor.listenTCP(2000, factory)
> reactor.run()
> -----------
>

> Here is the client code:
> --------------
> from twisted.internet.protocol import Protocol, ClientCreator
> from twisted.internet import reactor
> import sys
>
> class MyClient(Protocol):
>     def dataReceived(self, data):
>         sys.stdout.write(data)
>         self.transport.loseConnection()
> ------------
>
> What do I need to add to the client code to make it connect to the server?
>  I think the "How To" documentation is woefully inadequate.  For instance,
> it says this:
>
> ----
>
> Here is a simple example:
>
> from twisted.internet.protocol import Protocolfrom sys import stdout
> class Echo(Protocol):
>     def dataReceived(self, data):
>         stdout.write(data)
>
> ------
>
> Anyone who knows even a little bit of python should be able to recognize
> that that code does absolutely nothing.

Greetings nameless-and-frustrated Twisted beginner!  Have a look at the
echoclient.py example, which you can download here:

http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/examples/index.html

Essentially you also need to create an EchoFactory and set it to run within
a reactor (notice that your server example already does this).

Hope that helps,

~Adam