[Twisted-Python] XMPP/Jabber server example

Garret Heaton powdahound at gmail.com
Mon May 11 12:16:32 EDT 2009

I'm trying to create an XMPP server using twisted.words and am having
difficulty finding the correct way to make use of the classes provided. I
was hoping someone might have an example or short explanation of which
classes would be used to create a very basic server (using the latest
classes<http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/8.2.0/api/twisted.words.protocols.jabber.xmlstream.html>from
8.2.0).

So far I have a t.w.p.j.xmlstream.XmlStreamServerFactory object creating
t.w.x.xmlstream.XmlStream protocol instances. The
t.w.p.j.xmlstream.XmlStream objects are being given a
t.w.p.j.xmlstream.ListenAuthenticator object. The factory is being created
and given to a t.a.internet.TCPServer service which has a
t.a.service.Application as its parent service. Everything runs fine and I
can see data coming in, but I wasn't sure what the correct functions to
override and deal with the data were, or where to attach event listeners
using addBootstrap().

Also, how do xmlstream.StreamManager, xmlstream.XMPPHandler, and
xmlstream.XMPPHandlerCollection fit into this. Are they appropriate to use
for a server?

Is there still work being done on the goals listed at
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/XMPPServerArchitecture?

Thanks! Really enjoying Twisted so far.