[Twisted-Python] Stackless Twisted shocking performance

Simon Pickles sipickles at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:16:47 MDT 2009

Hi,

Now I am first to admit my problem lies within my app design somewhere,
but I thought I'd raise it here for advice.

I have a server made from a central stackless python hub, with a boost
python c++ interface, to which c++ clients connect.

This hub is 'surrounded' by stackless python zones which are passed work
by the hub. The zones send the updates to the hub which passes them onto
the clients.

The hub and zones communicate using twisted.perspectivebroker.

This all seemed to work well, until I began to load test. It quickly
became clear the MAJOR bottleneck was the transmission of data between
the hub and zone - the twisted bit.

As more updates are sent zone->hub, per second, the incoming
client->hub->zone messages take SECONDS to get thru! This is with approx
50 messages per second between a single zone and the hub.

Is this the sort of performance I can expect?

If so, what I my alternatives? I am considering ditching the twisted
part and using stacklessSockets instead.

Thanks for any advice

Simon