[Twisted-Python] getting sshsimpleserver.py to work within a wrapper

Ben Hyde bhyde at pobox.com
Tue Mar 10 10:39:10 EDT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 10:16 AM, jkv wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just recently got aware of twisted and im currently playing around
> with it.
> Is there any way to make reactor.listen listen on stdio instead of a
> real network connection?
>
> In  one of the examples (sshsimpleserver.py) reactor.listenTCP is
> used to listen on the network socket, as far as i can read from the
> twisted core documentation there are no builtin way to make
> reactor.listen* listen on stdin instead... Any hints?

Take look at twisted.internet.stdio.StandardIO.

I'm new to this twisted stuff, so no doubt I've gotten this a bit
wrong... but:

But, the act of listening is primarily about waiting for a new
connection etc.; since standard io is already connected it doesn't
quite make sense to listen for it.

When a listener L awakens for a new connection it cobbles together the
plumbing necessary to manage the connection.  That plumbing will
invoke the methods of an object C responsible for handling the
connection.  The listener L creates the object P, one for each
connection, by via the factory object F it was given when L was
created.  It is the responsibility of C to implement protocol
appropriate to the connection.

What twisted.internet.stdio.StandardIO provides is a very simple
protocol for standard IO.