[Twisted-Python] Error when trying to import reactor

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sun Mar 8 08:17:22 EDT 2009

On 09:33 am, florent.aide at gmail.com wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 5:06 AM, Ian Fountain <ian.fountain at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>I am new to all this so you will have to forgive me. I have a vista
>>machine
>>with python 2.5 on it and I just installed twisted (py2.5), pyOpenSSL
>>(py2.5), and pycrypto (py2.5) but when I try to do the following:
>>"from twisted.internet import reactor" I get the following error:
>>"This application has failed to start because libeay32.dll was not
>>found.
>>Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
>>I then found a copy of libeay32.dll and put it in my System32 folder
>>and
>>then get the following error:
>>"The procedure entry point ERR_load_RAND_string could not be located
>>in the
>>dynamic link library libeay32.dll."
>>I am currently out of ideas on what to do. Any help would be
>>appreciated.
>>Thanks,
>
>You need to have openssl install on your machine. Either download the
>source and compile by yourself of use the binaries from there:

More importantly you need to have a *matching* version of pyopenssl and
openssl installed.

Please don't don't manually put libraries into your System32 folder; use
packages, or put the dlls somewhere else where you are more likely to
find them.  It can make problems like this very hard to diagnose, when
later you come back and try to properly install openssl, but the version
in your system32 directory is somehow getting picked up instead of the
version that you just installed.

I wanted to refer you to some documentation from here, but the pyopenssl
website is oddly silent on which version of OpenSSL to use on Windows.
Would whoever built
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=31249&package_id=90289
please state which version of win32 openssl it was built against?  I'm
guessing 0.9.8j, but I'm not too confident in that guess...