[Twisted-Python] Question about File Descriptors

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 14:35:46 EDT 2009

Hi Itamar:

--- On Mon, 6/15/09, twisted-python-request at twistedmatrix.com <twisted-python-request at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:45:19 -0400
> From: Itamar Shtull-Trauring <itamar at itamarst.org>
> Subject: Re: [Twisted-Python] Question about File
> Descriptors
> To: Twisted general discussion <twisted-python at twistedmatrix.com>

IST> The memory in use by your own Python objects will probably
IST> take the most memory, so you'll need to figure that out on your own.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes. It would be good to figure out how much
memory a tasklet and a deferred use. However I was worried about how
much more kernel memory is used up when one increases the descriptors.
This info would be useful in helping me decide whether to use a small
or large memory model. I guess I'll wing it.

I will also assume it would be good to recompile Python?

AF> Also should I move to the EPoll reactor?

IST> Yes, it'll be either impossible (with select) or really
IST> slow (poll)
IST> otherwise once you get pass a few thousand descriptors.

Thanks for the advice, will do.

Cheers,
Andrew