[Twisted-Python] Twisted Words

Alex Clemesha clemesha at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 03:22:00 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Ralph Meijer<twisted at ralphm.ik.nu> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 11:33 -0400, Alex Patino wrote:
>> I am looking for a chat system to add to my Django-based chat site.  I
>> don't need something ready-made but I don't want to build it on a
>> framework that is no longer supported.  What's the status of the
>> Twisted Words project?
>
> Although, as exarkun mentions, Twisted Words currently does not have a
> complete web-based chat system, the great people at StanzIQ have built a
> suite of products to support this, using Twisted and a piece of Django.
>
> First off, there is Punjab, an implementation of XMPP over BOSH, that
> allows browser-based javascript applications do XMPP over HTTP. Then,
> there is Strophe, or more specifically strophe.js, a javascript library
> to build browser-based XMPP applications, talking to Punjab (or other
> XMPP over BOSH implementations).
>
> For a group chat application, they have Speeqe, a client-side
> implementation of the Multi-User Chat XMPP Extension using strophe.js
> and some server-side Django. In turn you need a server-side
> implementation as well, to hold the chat rooms, and for this they have
> built Palaver on top of Twisted Words.
>
> You can read up on all of this marvelous stuff at http://stanziq.com/
> Also, be sure not to miss the (now still rather incomplete) list of
> applications using strophe.js:
> http://code.stanziq.com/strophe/wiki/UseCases .

I heartily agree checking out what http://stanziq.com has to offer, it
is excellent.

In particular, a combination of Strophe and Punjab (plus ejabberd) will get
you where you want to go.

I have a fun little app going that uses Strophe, Punjab, and Django.  You can
play with it here: http://wikipediagame.org

and here is a talk I did at a recent Django user group meeting on the
game's architecture:
http://clemesha.org/static/talks/Django_and_XMPP_BoshWriting_a_real_time_web_app.pdf

I believe you might find it's easier that you think to get going by
just playing around
with the examples.  Try starting here:
http://code.stanziq.com/cgit/strophe/strophejs/tree/examples/attach

good luck!