[Twisted-Python] Twisted Words

Ralph Meijer twisted at ralphm.ik.nu
Tue Jun 9 03:06:14 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 11:33 -0400, Alex Patino wrote:
> I am looking for a chat system to add to my Django-based chat site.  I
> don't need something ready-made but I don't want to build it on a
> framework that is no longer supported.  What's the status of the
> Twisted Words project?

Although, as exarkun mentions, Twisted Words currently does not have a
complete web-based chat system, the great people at StanzIQ have built a
suite of products to support this, using Twisted and a piece of Django.

First off, there is Punjab, an implementation of XMPP over BOSH, that
allows browser-based javascript applications do XMPP over HTTP. Then,
there is Strophe, or more specifically strophe.js, a javascript library
to build browser-based XMPP applications, talking to Punjab (or other
XMPP over BOSH implementations).

For a group chat application, they have Speeqe, a client-side
implementation of the Multi-User Chat XMPP Extension using strophe.js
and some server-side Django. In turn you need a server-side
implementation as well, to hold the chat rooms, and for this they have
built Palaver on top of Twisted Words.

You can read up on all of this marvelous stuff at http://stanziq.com/
Also, be sure not to miss the (now still rather incomplete) list of
applications using strophe.js:
http://code.stanziq.com/strophe/wiki/UseCases .

--
Groetjes,