[Twisted-Python] twisted.internet.task.LoopingCall

Terry Jones terry at jon.es
Thu Jun 4 18:18:00 EDT 2009

>>>>> "Doug" == Doug Farrell <dfarrell at mypublisher.com> writes:

Doug> Is there anything in LoopingCall to keep it from trying to run
Doug> someFunction() if the previous call is still running? For instance a
Doug> call to someFunction() takes longer than 5 seconds, will LoopingCall
Doug> hold off or will it call someFuction() anyway causing two 'instances'
Doug> to run?

Hi Doug

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being a PITA, but I really recommend reading
the source code and writing & playing with a tiny example. Also see
http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/8.2.0/api/twisted.internet.task.LoopingCall.html

I suggest this because it's by far the best way to learn these things. And
if you're using Twisted in any serious way, it's hard to get by without
getting closely acquainted with some of the code.

BTW, yes, LoopingCall will reschedule in a sensible way, supposing your
task returns a deferred that takes a long time to fire :-) Try it.

Terry