[Twisted-Python] offer of adding IRCD support to words.protocol.irc

Patrick Thomson patrick.thomson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 13:38:39 EDT 2009

On close inspection, the code that your command runs (from
twisted.words.service) happens to be the IRCD code that I thought was
missing from twisted, and is adequate for my purposes. Everything else
I need to write now is wildly divergent from the goal of "running an
irc server".

So, uh, my bad, I just didn't read the manual.

2009/5/19 Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com>:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 18:17:01 +0100, Patrick Thomson <patrick.thomson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>I'm currently about to embark on building something from twisted which
>>has an IRCD, and I have found the capacity to run IRC servers is
>>lacking, in contrast to the excellent client/bot backend code.
>>
>>I've found several other twisted projects already implement an IRCD,
>>and whilst I'm reinventing the wheel, I may as well go the extra mile
>>to get my code suitable for inclusion.
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
> Cool!
>
> I want to point you at what happens when you run this command:
>
>  twistd -n words --irc-port 6667 --group irctest --auth=memory:username:password
>
> Ideally, an IRCD in Twisted would be based on this (which certainly needs
> some work).
>
>>I wouldn't be asking for a lot, just some general guidelines (e.g. I
>>know my patch probably won't be accepted
>>without test code as well).
>
> Tests are probably the most important single thing.  We also ask for full
> docstring coverage (ie, docstrings for every class, method, function).  It
> would also be best if you could structure your contributions incrementally.
> Twenty patches of a couple hundred lines each is vastly preferable to one
> patch of several thousand lines.
>
> You can find much more detailed information on the wiki,
>
>  http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedDevelopment
>
> If anything there needs clarification, please ask. :)
>
> Jean-Paul

Patrick