[Twisted-Python] License for code in twisted's sandbox?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jul 27 18:41:42 MDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Vishal Shetye <vishalshetye at gmail.com>wrote:

> I had posted a query about laxdb on this list
> http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2009-July/020030.html
> laxdb code is in sandbox and is not released with twisted. The file itself
> does not have any license.
> Can it be used assuming the same license as that of twisted.

In general you can assume code in Twisted's sandbox is released under the
same license as Twisted itself.  It's safest to check with the author
personally (in this case, mg) in case there is some reason for an exception.

However, I would strongly discourage you from using this code in any
capacity other than trying to contribute patches which add it (and by "it" I
mean tested, working versions of it) to some existing twisted module, in
this case adbapi.  As it says, it is "experimental, untested, incomplete",
it hasn't been updated in 4 years, and I assume it is totally unsupported,
both by its author and by the Twisted team in general.  If it breaks, you
can't even keep both pieces, you have to dispose of them as toxic waste.