[Twisted-Python] Re adbapi and multiple queries in single transaction.

Vishal Shetye vishal_shetye at persistent.co.in
Tue Jul 14 08:29:07 MDT 2009

Hi,

I went through several posts and blogs regarding long lived transactions in twisted.

Some of them are

-        A bug with current status won't fix. http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/303

-        Laxdb from sandbox. http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20050831.235536.440061b8.en.html#twisted-python

-        A blog entry by glyph. http://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2008/12/databases-and-twisted-when-threads-are.html

I have a scenario as given below. All the steps to be done sequentially and in a single transaction.
1. do some db queries.
2. interact with some module that uses twisted framework.
3. do some db queries.

As I can see adbapi's runInteraction runs the interaction in a new thread.
I read that most of the twisted code is not thread safe so it is recommended not to use anything except for the reactor.callFromThread in the threads other than reactor's main thread.
Does this mean that only approach remains is something similar to laxdb?

The bug mentioned above says patch provided has a DOS problem and solution is to use separate threadpools. Does the same problem exist with laxdb?

Regards,
vishal

DISCLAIMER